Friday, September 26, 2014

Tackling part of a band - most interesting designs and stitches!

I decided to finish up the band I had partially stitched before. I became worried about not having enough of the yellow green silk and discovered that the other bag of silk in my stash had a different dye lot.  I decided that I would not stress out about this but rather figure out a way to blend in the new dye lot.
On first glance this band and the remaining area did not seem too interesting to me - just more blackwork and satin stitches but then I realized there was much more to this area than I had initially anticipated.  It provided me with hours of most enjoyable study and stitching!
This little band had an interesting interpretation of design and stitch placement... blackwork, satin stitches and trellis stitches.  I decided to work the trellis stitches in different orientations to see if working direction and stitch orientations mattered and if they enhanced the textural quality of the design.  Initially when I was placing the blackwork outlines I did not quite understand why there were such 'weird' petals, both shapes and angles seemed to be all quite arbitrary BUT then when I was working out the details of the trellis stitch and other patterns and color placement I was most intrigued by how such a small area allowed me to obtain a deeper appreciation on how to turn angles and 'fit' the detached trellis stitch to the shape.  This was perhaps one of the most interesting areas to stitch on this sampler and a great study!


Here are some pictures of the completed band and then some closeups of the trellis stitch in progress...

A most surprising band...
An interesting interpretation of a motif and stitches - don't remember stitching something like this satin stitch area before

Trellis Stitch in progress

The trellis stitch is detached and quite textural
Hope you can see the dimensionality of the trellis stitch in this motif
 

Just a note on some of the questions asked about this sampler and my choice of colors etc.  I am a bit hesitant to post all the details on a blog so all I will say here is that I am working this from a chart that was made by Margriet (The Essamplaire).  I chose a linen color that closely resembled the one of the original shown in the chart and I am using all the same colors of silk as specified.  The only change I made was in the color 'Beige' - I decided to use AVAS 4236 after trying another color similar to the one specified and the one specified.  I felt that this way the stitching stands out evenly all over instead of having areas of bold color and other areas that are hard to see from afar.  The only other difference is the unanticipated fear of 'running out' of the yellow green and realizing there was a dye lot difference... in the end this turned out to be a nice thing.
Please email me personally if there are any other questions ... hope you understand...  I know you all like to see my close up photographs but it is  an area of concern especially for designers who depend on the income from their reproductions and designs and one of the reasons I have yet to post my own designs here....   


1 comment:

Maxine D said...

What an amazing piece of stitching - I am loving seeing your posts on this sampler Nupur - I know what you are saying about theft of ideas and colours and designs - it is a sad commentary on the world we live in that people seem to think they are entitled to others property.
Blessings
Maxine