Labels

Sunday, May 6, 2018

A long overdue 'brief' update

It has been quite a while since my last blogpost ... the past few months have been good ones, productive ones.  Life has started to resume it's old rhythm which I am most grateful for.

First of all, I want to thank all of you who have emailed me personally, prodded me on Facebook or nudged me on Messenger or WhatsApp... inquiring about my projects, my hands, my activities and hoping I will continue posting on my blog.  I was touched by all this interest and a bit surprised too ... the 'Follower' area has not really changed much over the years, nor are there many messages left here; if I post a link on my Facebook page I get some activity with 'thumbs up' emoticons mostly...  so I have often wondered about the relevance of this idea of blogging for me personally.

You see, I am perfectly happy working away on my own projects of diverse nature in my own little corner of the world... I love all sorts of needlework as most of you might know and am passionate and intense about it - like just about anything I choose to spend my time on.  I started this blog at a time when I was down with a nasty cold/cough years ago, on a whim and egged on by people on another sampler blog (now defunct) who wanted to see more photographs of my samplers.
I am dealing with another one of those unscheduled cough/fever downtimes right now and decided to try and figure out the issues relating to why I cannot connect to my blog using my Apple devices....
still haven't been able to figure that out yet but, finally, now that my neglected laptop has finished updating a million things, I am just trying this post out - seems like a lot has changed again!

I have surprised myself as to how many things I did complete last year when I was going through my self prescribed 'hand therapy' mode of choosing projects.  I didn't realize it myself until I was putting them all away in the 'finished, yet to be framed' drawers or in the ' completed, can be used' drawers.  I took pictures on my phone ( not the camera anymore for a while now after I learned about the pirating issues and copyright issues ) ... but still, the phone takes pretty detailed photographs which makes me hesitate to post large or detailed pictures like I used to.  Even so, I know that the more recent pictures are not a deterrent to a determined person...which is really a shame.  My main reason for blogging on mainly samplers was to encourage people to try other stitches and explore this amazing world of 'needlework'; and many of you have emailed me to tell me that after you read my ramblings,  you  are now happily over your 'fear' and are busy learning and trying techniques you once never dared to even try.... my smattering of a few crewel, stumpwork, whitework, Schwalm, and other little needlework posts interspersed between the sampler posts have also had the desired effect and people have either started learning or rekindled their love of crewel for example.

Lots to share but have to still figure out all the new things here and the interfaces etc. and see if this even posts.  I even have a perfect sampler I started and finished this year that would have been good for a post yesterday, to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
SO, I will be back to blogging periodically if this works and I can figure out the other issues shortly ...

For now, just experimenting with photos - from old blogposts:









16 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Nupur it is wonderful to see you back here - I do love your blog, but I do not do much on facebook at all, so it would not be worth it for me to follow you there. I have resumed embroidery now that I don't have the commitments I had for many years, and I am loving it. I look forward to seeing more of your posts
Blessings
Maxine

Ann said...

Delighted to see your post--your voice has been missed! FB just doesn't have the time or space for indepth messages. Like Maxine, I look forward to more posts.

Nupur said...

Thanks Ann... I truly do prefer reading reading things on blogs - Facebook is a different experience. I have to still figure out how to continue reading all the blogs I liked reading ( yours especially) on Apple devices - my phone is my main ‘computer’ these days

Nupur said...


Thanks Maxine - glad you are doing well and finding a new way to continue on. I rarely post my embroidery on Facebook but posted a picture there recently that I wanted to share here but am still trying to figure out all the new stuff ... I will post here periodically ...

Anonymous said...

Hello Nupur, It was a lovely surprise for me this morning to see your The Song of my Needle blogpost. I have always enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the wonderful projects you stitch. I am a person who has been inspired by your projects and have started two Samplers because of what I read about and saw you stitching. I have very recently retired from my full time work and hope to get into a routine soon that allows plenty of time for stitching. I am glad to hear "Life has started to resume it's old rhythm". I look forward to your posts in the future and seeing more of your exquisite stitching. Best wishes to you from Dianne.

Nupur said...

Thank you so much Dianne - so glad to hear that you are enjoying discovering Samplers and that you like seeing the variety of things I post.... these are precisely the sentiments that make me want to continue posting things here so very ‘publicly’. Thank you for taking the time to comment again - glad you are well and are looking forward to hours of needlework in your upcoming ‘retirement’.... be careful - it can easily become a full time occupation!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading your blog. I'm not on fb - tried it twice and liked it even less the 2nd time. I understand your reasons for not posting pics that would tempt pirates, but I do like to see details because that's how I learn. I do copy pics to add to my private (not online) reference library, but I take care to record the source and I don't copy the designs in my own stitching. Elaine in Oz

Nupur said...

Thank you Elaine for taking the time to post ... what you describe about learning from the closeup photographs is what a number of people have written to me about. Photography is just one of my other hobbies and for a while I took pictures with both my camera (for my own log) and my phone ... and then I realized that it was an unnecessary duplication and data storage issue. I know that a lot can be learned by studying a good picture so am glad that you find this way of ‘learning to see’. I am happy it helped you and I will reconsider and look into ‘protecting’ information better. I would love to see some of the things you have stitched - you could email them to me if you like. Also, email me anytime if you feel stuck - be happy to help if I can... or find out from someone else who might know better than I ....

Nupur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Francis said...

Nupur, wonderful to have you back. I enjoy your stories and your photos. Your Tree of Life is very special. Thanks for sharing.

Nupur said...

Thanks Cis - still trying to figure out the new technological changes - everything seems to be different and google/blogger and Microsoft and Apple apparently are all having turf wars or incompatibility issues (????)

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Hi. It's a well accepted fact that Blogger does not play well with iPads etc. I find the only way to update my blog (blogspot.com) is on my computer. The best way to follow blogs is through Bloglovin. That's how I follow your blog. You can elect to receive daily emails alerting you to new blog posts on the blogs that you follow. They now say you can blog directly from Bloglovin, but I haven't tried that yet. Good luck with your technology issues.

Nupur said...

Thanks Wendy ... that confirms what my husband said and also what I had to do. The transfer of photos from my iPhone to the blog entry used to be easier and I am still trying to figure out that one... I know I might have to transfer images to the computer from the phone etc... just wondering if an Apple laptop with the appropriate Microsoft software converter will make this an easier project?

Thanks for sharing the information

Anonymous said...

Hi Nupur - thanks for the reply. The only pics I've copied from your site are a detail from each of Loara Standish and Frances Cheney. Your work is so far above mine that you are more an inspiration than someone to imitate! Your work shows me what it is possible for someone to achieve with a lot of patience and a lot more skill than I have. Mainly I do cross-stitch but I've dabbled in blackwork and a few other counted techniques, including some very rudimentary drawn-thread and Hardanger. I look at your needle lace and dream, but I'll need to put in a lot more stitching hours before I reach the level at which I would need to call for your help. Elaine in Australia

Plessiewill said...

Hello Nupur. If my profile doesn’t show up correctly this is Edna. So happy to see your post. I know it was a pain to get it accomplished and I do appreciate your resolve! You do so many beautiful things and I love seeing your photos. I do need to
check out my own settings because I waited for a notification of your post and never received one even though I follow you now. Thanks again!!!

deb said...

So very good to see a post from you! I love seeing your work and hope you update, at least periodically - you are always an inspiration.