Labels

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Completed Agnes Begbe - The Examplarery

Just a quick note - I will post in greater detail on this beautiful Scottish sampler by the Examplarery.
It was a sampler I started on a whim last month... it is a sampler that is not very challenging for me but was perfect for at least keeping my hands doing something  ‘needlework related ‘ during a very busy month.

This is just a quick post to address something I have seen many people discuss on social media and it is a topic I have addressed here on this blog many times before.  I know I have been remiss in following up with photographs etc for many years now.  The question on what materials to use, whether it is on ground materials like linen vs. Aida or congress cloth,  or what threads to use - cotton or silk or others - is an entirely personal choice.   I have noted a tendency for some time now where people discuss the counts of linen or their choice of silk threads as something that puts them in a ‘sophisticated league’ of sorts ... I really feel that we should first and foremost ENJOY our time with needle and thread, enjoy our hobby and use the materials that best suit our abilities, our budgets and our specific lifestyles at this moment in Time ... I enjoy seeing everyone’s work - it is all beautiful to me because it is first and foremost, a manifestation of our life’s energy, an expression of our creativity and just one example of how we choose to spend our time on this Earth.
I don’t feel that silk is ‘better than’ mere cotton threads - it is as always not so much about the materials we use but rather, for me,  more about our personal attention to detail and personal commitment towards Excellence.  And, over the years, I also know that ‘life’s circumstances’ change abruptly sometimes,  and one may be faced with physical or other  challenges that make it difficult to even make a ‘simple’ cross stitch as ‘easily’ as one once could.
Anyway,  even though this is a ‘reproduction sampler’ we will rarely / never have access to the type of linen or the types of silks people had access to in the 1600s, 1700s, etc ...

Many of you following me for a while know by now that I enjoy working and learning and continue honing my skills in a variety of different types of needlework.  I have taught many types of needlework before, actively teach Japanese silk embroidery, always  to a very small group of students etc...

I am grateful to have a profession I thoroughly enjoy and various hobbies - needlework is one of my favorite ones. When I look at the life and stresses and quality for work expected  of ‘professional embroiderers’ all over the world,  I am always inspired by their beautiful work but also thankful that I can just ‘enjoy’ needlework on a ‘hobby level’ .... so that is why I feel really sad when somehow lately some people are made to feel ‘inferior’ because they choose a lower count of linen or if they choose cotton threads over silk threads etc...
so, here is a quick photograph I just took of this sampler I finished last night - I used all the materials provided in the kit so thoughtfully put together by Joanne Harvey of The Examplarery.  I hope I can capture the sheen of DMC cotton threads for you ...  35 ct. linen and one strand of DMC thread was my choice instead of the 2 strands of floss recommended by Joanne ...
I will post a more complete post on this sampler and also on silk vs cotton threads soon ...
Hope this helps some of you ‘feel better’ .... like I always say : the main thing is to enjoy the process and the journey.... there is Beauty all around us and as always one can always find room for improvement of one’s skill - that is part of what makes Life such a great adventure !
Agnes Begbe- The Examplarery ... the sheen of cotton threads 
Again, these are just my thoughts - I have received many emails of late ... we should all support each other and be grateful of  the fact that in this world we can actually have the luxury to pursue our ‘hobbies’ whether they be with silk or cotton threads.

11 comments:

Debby said...

I totally agree Nupur, the pleasure of needlework should be our first goal. The materials we use are all personal preference and should be our 2nd goal of our hobby. Then we fly from there. Not everyone like stepping out of their "comfort zone", while I thing everyone should at least try, I certainly don't expect it. And to the "nay sayers", I think you have a right to your opinion-although I'm not always sure you use discretion in when and how you chose to express it - but I also think you owe your audience that same right, to their opinion.

Francesca said...

Beautifully done and well said ! XXX

Nupur said...

I agree fully with you Debby ... it is a personal choice. Luckily, we have a variety of good materials to choose from ... Enjoy your stitching is the only point I was trying to make ... silk has a different sheen and feel , DMC/cotton threads too

Cindy said...

Thank you, Nupur! I've been following you for several years. You always inspire and encourage. I admire your pursuit of excellence while also recognizing the need to enjoy life and enjoy the company of others. Please keep blogging and posting. I'm grateful for you, and for what you share with us. -- Cindy

Stitch Wizard said...

NupurAgnes Begbe is really beautiful and I am so glad to see how beautiful the DMC looks for the satin stitches! I really enjoyed reading your post here! I stitched Elizabeth Sheffield by Scarlet Letter with DMC and was very very happy with her too. Thank you for adding me on FB and for the link to your blog here! So happy to meet you! Debby Littlefield

Anonymous said...

Well said, Nupur! If we do not stitch for our own pleasure, then why do we do it? Our pleasure includes choosing and using our materials, and our skill includes choosing and using materials that suit our purpose. Elaine in Melbourne, Australia

Mary said...

Lovely stitching as always Nupur! I look forward to future posts with more photos and details on Agnes.

I guess I missed the posts about “better/best” materials to use. My preference is working with linen and silk, but based on my budget, I use DMC 90% of the time. When I started I used Aida and was delighted with my results and wanted to do more. Today I see posts for wonderful stitching done on Aida, if I were to do the same design, I would do it on linen because it’s my personal preference, not because linen is better than Aida. Kinda like some people love avocados and some don’t.

The first embroidery I ever made was at Girl Scout camp. I used a piece of left over upholstery fabric my Mom had and whatever floss they gave use at camp. I still have the pillow and love it as much today as the day I made it. It’s all about the pleasure and enjoyment. Of course most people want to use the best materials they can afford, but the reality is any materials you use are great as long as you are enjoying yourself and are satisfied with your results. Other people’s ideas and attitudes shouldn’t take away from your pleasure and satisfaction in what you’ve accomplished.

Just my two cents (ok, more like $1.50!)

Debby said...

To clarify my statement about opinions above, here's maybe a more clear statement of what I meant:
I think too many people while "free" with their opinions, just never stop to consider how it comes across, should take more time to decide either how they word their opinions or if they should even post them. And if they're sharing their opinions, they should respect the right of everyone else to express theirs as well and I don't always feel like that happens. Kind of a "I'm right, you're not" attitude.
We don't all agree on everything, but we shouldn't make others feel bad about their opinions, in my opinion.

deb said...

Beautifully said - thank you! I look forward to seeing more pictures of your working of this beautiful sampler. When stitching my reproduction (... "interpretation" is a more accurate word) of Jane Turner, I was delighted by the sheen of the satin stitches worked in DMC - it may be inexpensive but it is wonderful.

kiwimeskreations said...

Thank you Nupur=- enjoyment of our hobby (or art) is why we do it, and all of us have to work within our means. Even at guild meetings there is sometimes an undercurrent of what you are talking about....
Love the wee part of the sampler that you have shown us.
Blessing
Maxine

Leona said...

Well said Nupur. The joy of stitching is in the process and having the ability to do our best with the resources available to us. I have spent the afternoon backtracking through your blog and want to thank you for all that you do creating this blog and sharing your stitching life with us. You are a wonderful inspiration.